1. Preamble / Authorization – why and how does this committee arise?
a. APBF Theological Education Committee has been established by the authority of the APBF General Council and as such will serve the education interest and needs of APBF.
b. Article VIII paragraph 4 of the Constitution provides that each committee of the General Council will develop a charter that will set forth, among other things, the committee’s authority and responsibility.
2. Purpose and Function – what are the main tasks of this committee?
The purpose and function of the Committee of Theological Education is to assist and guide the Asia-Pacific Baptist Church to equip pastoral and educational leaders through seminars, colloquiums, consultations, and supply of itinerant teachers.
3. Operating Procedures
a. Chairperson of the Committee for Theological Education is appointed by the General Council after the nomination made by the Executive Committee. The chairserves a period of quinquennium with the possibility of return services.
b. Committee members will work with the chair to fulfill the set purpose.
c. If the chairperson is unable to serve his or her term, the Executive Committee, acting in place of the General Council, will appoint another person to complete the quinquennium. If a committee member is unable to complete his or term, the existing members will find a replacement.
d. As prescribed by the very nature and purpose of the Committee, it will seek to work in cooperation with other committees.
e. On need bases, the chair will prepare a set of agenda and call for a meeting.
4. Authority – what is this committee empowered to do and what are its limitations?
The authority of the Committee is set out in its operating procedures above.
5. Reporting mechanisms - to whom does this committee report?
The Committee of Theological Education reports to the General Council through the Executive Committee. The Committee chairperson provides annual reports at the annual Executive Committee meetings.
6. Meetings – what is the expectation about frequency and type of meetings?
Occasionally, face-to-face meetings of the Theological Education Committee will be called to fulfill its responsibilities. Generally, ongoing work of the Committee is facilitated via conference calls, email, and other electronic means of communication.
7. Composition – who will serve on the committee?
a. See the “Operating Procedures” above.
b. New members are appointed by the existing members through the help and recommendation of the Executive Committee. The Committee will also consider nominations from member bodies. A member must be from APBF member bodies. In addition, member selection will be guided by the following criteria:
1) Persons who have academic background and/or leadership experiences in theological education.
2) Persons with expert knowledge and experience in other areas helpful to the ministries of the Committee
3) A person’s gender, nationality, and other representative qualities will be considered in order to create a balanced membership across Asia-Pacific.
4) Membership to the Theological Education Committee shall require endorsement from their respective APBF Member Conventions. B, 4)